Mathematics is an interconnected subject in which pupils need to be able to move fluently between representations of mathematical ideas. The programmes of study are, by necessity, organised into apparently distinct domains, but pupils should make rich connections across mathematical ideas to develop fluency, mathematical reasoning and competence in solving increasingly sophisticated problems. They should also apply their mathematical knowledge to science and other subjects.
The expectation is that the majority of pupils will move through the programmes of study at broadly the same pace. However, decisions about when to progress should always be based on the security of pupils’ understanding and their readiness to progress to the next stage. Pupils who grasp concepts rapidly should be challenged through being offered rich and sophisticated problems before any acceleration through new content. Those who are not sufficiently fluent with earlier material should consolidate their understanding, including through additional practice, before moving on.
At Rangeworthy we ensure that this is achieved through:
- Daily mathematics lessons which include whole class teaching, guided group teaching, opportunities to practise skills and apply these in the context of a variety of problems
- A clear progression in calculation methods to allow children to develop a secure and consistent understanding of methods to use when calculating with all four operations
- Ensuring that children have the opportunity to apply their mathematical skills in real contexts by the inclusion of an ‘application of maths’ strand across all subjects of our Creative Curriculum
- Giving children the opportunity to explain their methods and mathematical reasoning
- Ensuring that children regularly practise their times tables so that they can recall them quickly and accurately
- Ensuring that children are able to use appropriate mathematical vocabulary accurately
- Putting in place timely, closely monitored interventions for those children who need extra support